This course is designed to provide the clinical tools necessary to both accurately assess and effectively treat orthopedic disorders. It is appropriate for both students of acupuncture and licensed acupuncturists seeking to increase their confidence, refine their skills, and learn new techniques for the treatment of musculoskeletal pain.
A review of relevant anatomy, organized by body region, along with common orthopedic and neurological disorders that result in musculoskeletal pain and neuropathies will be presented. High-yield orthopedic tests will be reviewed and demonstrated along with an explanation of their underlying biomechanics. Injury mechanisms will be presented in correlation with warranted orthopedic evaluation. Red flags, along with the importance and method of recognition, will also be incorporated into each lecture in addition to needling cautions. Ample time will be allotted for hands-on practice of orthopedic and neurological examinations.
You will also be introduced to the theory, mechanisms, and applications of motor points and trigger points. The concept and practice of orthopedic needling techniques will be an integral part of this course. A demonstration of motor points, according to body region, will be followed by participant practice of motor point needling. Specifically, assessment and needle techniques of the upper and lower extremities, abdomen and thorax, cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine will be covered. Participants will needle approximately 75 motor points throughout the quarter. Additional special orthopedic techniques will be added as time permits. Thorough assessment, palpatory skills, and musculoskeletal needling techniques will be the main objectives of each session.
This course includes lecture, demonstration, and hands-on practice for participants. The fee includes the Orthopedic Desk Reference (200+pages, $75 value), and all acupuncture needles and clean needle supplies.
Upon completion of this seminar, you will be able to:
- Describe the mechanisms of orthopedic and neurological evaluation
- Perform a clinically efficacious orthopedic and neurological evaluation
- Demonstrate enhanced assessment of orthopedic disorders, including a hierarchal differential diagnosis
- Implement treatment plans and evaluate the progress of a given treatment plan
- Correlate injury mechanisms to the orthopedic evaluation
- Identify, palpate, and needle the affected tissues and meridians of common musculoskeletal injuries
- Accurately differentiate between ah shi points, trigger points, and motor points
- Describe the mechanisms and application of motor points
- Accurately locate motor points
- Demonstrate specific orthopedic and motor point needling
- Demonstrate a working command of the terminology used in order to communicate with other physicians
- Identify red flags that necessitate referral