This comprehensive seminar provides the fundamental knowledge necessary for competent and efficacious use of essential oils and aromatherapy. Moving beyond a simple definition of individual oils, you will gain an understanding of the chemical composition, holistic properties and contraindications of essential oils, their impact on body systems and olfaction and the relation to energy principles. We will also explore their holistic and therapeutic function in cosmetic ingredients and beauty treatments, quality control issues, and best practices in developing formulations for professional and personal use. Using the skills learned in the seminar you will develop two blends using consultation protocols and take them home for your own use (retail value of $50). This seminar is a combination of lecture, discussion and hands-on experience.
Upon completion of the seminar you will be able to:
- Accurately define essential oils and aromatherapy.
- Describe the sense of smell and the effect of odor on the brain’s limbic system and how this relates to essential oil use for memory and emotion.
Identify the extraction methods and quality control for “genuine and authentic” essential oils.
- Select essential oils according to their chemical makeup, properties and safety using the “structure-effect diagram.”
- Select appropriate application and dosing for essential oil treatments following a review of 11 application methods and six categories of dosing.
- Formulate with essential oils using the given equation for calculating “drops” used and selecting suitable carrier oils from a review of ten general care oils and ten valued in skin care.
- Identify the chemistry, properties and use of 25 essential oils.
- Evaluate the composition and formulation of over ten skin care and healing formulas for professional and personal use.
- Perform an aromatherapy consultation that will guide the selection of oils, application method and formulation.
- Competently create a formula and blend of essential oils based on the learning objectives for this seminar.