Book Review – Master Your Diabetes: A Comprehensive, Integrative Approach for Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
Medical Resources for NDs: A Review of Current Publications for the Naturopathic Industry
Blaine Harbourne, ND, LDN, CNS, CSCS
Master Your Diabetes: A Comprehensive, Integrative Approach for Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
Worldwide, there are 350 million people diagnosed with diabetes. In the United States, alone, there are an estimated 120 million prediabetic and diabetic patients (29 million diagnosed diabetics). The diabetes epidemic is growing and is no longer affecting just adults; diabetes is increasingly occurring in children and adolescence. Providing insight into the pathology and the physiology of diabetes is of paramount importance, not only for managing the disease but also for halting the epidemic.
After 25-plus years of practice in dealing with diabetes, Dr Mona Morstein provides us with a comprehensive resource that combats diabetes and helps patients understand their unique circumstances. With her “8 Essentials,” Dr Morstein offers a thorough explanation for each aspect of diabetes as well as instructions in to manage it.
The 8 Essentials For Managing Diabetes
- Diet: Diabetes at its core is a condition of dysfunctional carbohydrate metabolism. This book delivers an exceptional amount of nutritional information to patients, helping them to select what can work best for them.
- Exercise: The prescription of exercise cannot be overlooked, as it is an important component of the diabetes management puzzle.
- Sleep: This is a frequently overlooked and underrated part of the diabetes puzzle. Knowing that sleep plays a role in key biological processes should be enough to convince us to engage in proper sleep hygiene. Restorative sleep helps manage cravings, blood sugar, appetite, and a slew of other challenges associated with this disease.
- Stress Management: Stress plays a pivotal role in lifestyle management, and not just for the diabetic patient. All of us are constantly faced with stressors in our lives. Learning how to deal with those stressors is crucial for keeping patients on their path toward optimal health.
- Healing the Gut and Microbiome: This is the naturopathic doctor’s backbone. Repairing the gut and balancing the microbiome helps optimize digestion and absorption of key nutrients. Dr Morstein provides enough detail to facilitate a full understanding of this area.
- Environmental Detoxification: Our environment is toxic. Understanding how to avoid these toxins and remove them helps patients select specific avenues in their lives for reducing their toxic load.
- Supplementation: Key supplements provide essential cofactors for multiple biological pathways in the body. Dr Morstein does a wonderful job of explaining exactly how they fit into the management of diabetes.
- Medications: The book provides a comprehensive overview of all medications available to diabetic patients, including how to utilize each drug to its full potential.
Just the Facts
- Title: Master Your Diabetes: A Comprehensive, Integrative Approach for Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Author: Mona Morstein, ND, DHANP
- Publisher: Chelsea Green Publishing
- Available from: All major book sellers
- Pages: 560
- Style: Trade Paperback
- Copyright: 2017
- MSRP: $21.73